- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 2
- Start to Finish: under 15 minutes
- Prep: 10 minutes
- 986mg Sodium
- 74g Carbs
- 13g Fiber
- 32g Fat
- 4g Saturated Fat
- 5g Sugars
- 15g Protein
- 115mg Calcium
- 5mg Iron
The two different proteins in this quinoa black bean salad make it a great post-workout meal. Plus, it’s incredibly filling and easy to make. Recipe courtesy of Cara Eisenpress and Phoebe Lapine of <a href="http://www.biggirlssmallkitchen.com/" target="_blank">Big Girls, Small Kitchen</a>.
- For the Quinoa:
- 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup corn kernels, defrosted if frozen
- 1 small fennel bulb, very finely diced
- 1/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed well
- For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup rice or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
1. To cook the quinoa, combine about 3/4 cup dry quinoa with 1 1/2 cups water in a small pot. Over medium heat, bring to a boil. Turn it down, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the water is completely absorbed. Turn off the heat and leave the top on for an additional 5 minutes. Fluff the quinoa and set aside. You can do this 1 to 2 days in advance.
2. To make the quinoa black bean salad, put the onions in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Drain the onions then cover them with 1/4 cup vinegar. Let them sit until you're ready to use, another 5 minutes.
4. To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, basil, and mustard in a large salad bowl. Slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly, until the dressing has thickened slightly. Whisk in the honey, salt and cayenne, and then taste. Add a bit more oil if the vinegar taste is too pungent.
5. Drain the onions, squeeze out the vinegar and add them to the dressing with the corn, fennel, and black beans. Add the quinoa and toss well. Taste for salt, adding more as necessary.