- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: under 2 hours
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- 476mg (20%) Sodium
- 12g Carbs
- 4g Fiber
- 60g (93%) Fat
- 12g (58%) Saturated Fat
- 5g Sugars
- 7g Protein
- 86mg (9%) Calcium
- 2mg (10%) Iron
- 3 medium beets (red or gold), washed, tops removed, and cut in half
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely minced chives
- 1 tablespoon diced shallots
- 1 medium bulb fennel, top trimmed
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place beets in a small baking dish. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
2. Cover and bake for 45 minutes or until beets are tender. Let beets cool, peel off skin, and cut into bite-size wedges.
3. Whisk together remaining olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, chives, and shallots. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of dressing to beets and toss to coat.
4. Cut fennel bulb in half and remove core. Using a mandoline or sharp knife, thinly slice fennel and transfer to a large bowl.
5. Add arugula and gently toss to mix. Add remaining dressing and toss again. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Heap a mound of fennel-arugula salad in center of each plate. Scatter beets around fennel mixture and serve.