- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: Less than 1 hour
- Prep: 25 minutes
- Cook: 20 Minutes
- 763mg (32%) Sodium
- 18g Carbs
- 2g Fiber
- 22g (33%) Fat
- 6g (31%) Saturated Fat
- 3g Sugars
- 51g Protein
- 178mg (18%) Calcium
- 3mg (18%) Iron
- 4 6-ounce chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1 cup whole baby spinach, divided
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 large tomato, cut into 4 slices
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (1/4 for the chicken, 1/2 for the topping)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Fresh or dried basil (or any herb)
- Ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Place a chicken breast on work surface, smooth side down. Top with 1∕4 cup of the spinach, 1∕4 cup of the cheese, and 1 tomato slice. Fold in ends and roll tightly. Place seam side down on a platter. Repeat with remaining chicken.
3. Whisk together egg whites and broth. Divide flour onto two large plates.
4. Coat stuffed chicken with flour, then dip into egg mixture and back into flour (shake off any excess). Set chicken roulade on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper.
5. In large sauté pan, heat oil over medium. Brown each chicken roulade, then place on an unlined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. While stuffed chicken is baking, prepare topping: In small saucepan, combine tomato, spinach, vinegar, broth, and herbs. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Slice each chicken roulade horizontally into 1-inch slices and place on a plate. Top each portion with warm tomato mixture and serve.Vegetarian Option: Slice 1 pound tofu lengthwise into 8 slices. Follow instructions for coating and browning chicken. Layer 4 slices with spinach and cheese, and top with 4 slices of tofu. Bake 20 minutes, top with tomato mixture, and serve.
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.