The Top Diet-Related Searches of 2011
Here at SHAPE, we strive to promote a healthy, active lifestyle, not diet plans or fads. But according to Yahoo!'s "Year in Review", the search for different diet plans is alive and well, with the top 10 diet-related searches including the DASH Diet, Dukan Diet, and more. While the "Year in Review" stresses that it measures interest and curiosity, not popularity, it still means that people are tuning in to see what the diet craze is all about. Here are the most popular-diet related search terms on Yahoo! of 2011:
1. Weight Watchers. Weight Watchers just announced a major change to their points system. Their new Points Plus system will replace the old one and was implemented so that the program could continue to keep up with new and emerging scientific research.
2. Jillian Michaels. The one-woman fitness powerhouse and former SHAPE cover model is all over the media, so it's no surprise that her name came in second in diet-related search terms.
3. Atkins. Oh, Atkins. The diet where you could eat half a bound of bacon and four hamburgers a day, but no apples, because the apples had "carbs." While its popularity has died down in recent years, it still came in at No. 3 on the list of diet-related most-searched terms.
4. HCG. The HCG Diet is named for a pregnancy hormone used to treat infertility issues. However, it's not FDA-approved, and there's no real research that supports its weight-loss claims.
5. 17 Day Diet. Although the 17-Day Diet is definitely not meant to be a lifestyle plan, it can be a good way to lose weight quickly and in a healthy way. Unlike many other diets, the 17-Day Diet also allows you to eat real food, which makes it easier to stick to than other diet plans.
What do you guys think? Most of us have tried a diet plan at one point or another. What was the tipping point for you, when you realized that dieting was not the way to go?