- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: under 2 hours
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 50 minutes
- 422mg (18%) Sodium
- 61g Carbs
- 14g Fiber
- 6g (9%) Fat
- 1g (6%) Saturated Fat
- 5g Sugars
- 14g Protein
- 92mg (9%) Calcium
- 4mg (21%) Iron
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes or 4 large plum tomatoes, diced (or one 14-ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes)
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1 small bunch thin asparagus, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 6 canned artichoke hearts, halved
- 1 cup frozen peas
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. In a saucepan, bring broth to a simmer and stir in saffron, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Remove from heat; set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add tomatoes and rice; stir to combine. Pour in reserved broth and bring to a boil. Cover, place in the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.
4. Remove skillet from oven, uncover, and place asparagus and artichokes on top, pushing vegetables into the rice. Scatter peas over the top. Cover and return to oven for 10 minutes.
5. Uncover and cook for 5 minutes more, or until all broth is absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.