5 Ways Facebook Makes Us Healthier
Facebook gets a bad rap sometimes for making people a little too centered on themselves (including what they look like). But after this recent story where Facebook actually helped a young boy receive the correct diagnosis of having the rare Kawasaki Disease, we got to thinking about how amazing Facebook can be for health. Below are five ways Facebook and health go together like peas and carrots!
5 Ways Facebook Improves Health
1. We keep up with the proverbial Joneses. Keeping up with the Joneses is usually a negative thing, but in the case of health, it's pretty positive on Facebook. If you see all of your friends running 10Ks or your high school boyfriend suddenly shows up in his profile page with six-pack abs, you might be inspired to hit the gym a little harder.
2. We watch what we eat and drink. Who wants to be shown eating fried food and drinking in all of their Facebook photos? Probably not you. With everything so public, it's natural to want to put your best — and healthiest — foot forward.
3. We brag about our fitness accomplishments. Just ran your first 5K? Made it to that 5:30 a.m. workout class? Posting your accomplishments on your Facebook page serves as a way to pat yourself on the back for a workout well done!
4. We make new workout buddies. Sometimes it's hard to make new friends, but with Facebook it's easier than ever to reach out to new people. You may not have known that your co-worker's cute friend played a mean game of tennis until he commented on the same photo you did. A few updates later and now you have a match set up!
5. We get motivation and health information. Just in the case of the boy with Kawasaki Disease, Facebook can be an amazing source of information. From following SHAPE on Facebook for motivation to asking your Facebook friends what the heck you should do with all that zucchini growing in the garden, knowledge is power, and Facebook certainly gives you it!