With St. Patrick's Day upon us, you may have green beer on the brain. But instead of just drinking your usual favorite American light beer with a few drops of festive green food coloring, why not expand your beer horizons and go totally Irish to celebrate?
These seven Irish beers don't have as many calories as you'd think and because they're more full-bodied than light beers, you're less likely to drink as much, thereby keeping your portion sizes and total calories down. Erin go brew!
7 Irish Beers for St. Patrick's Day
1. Guinness Draught. Twelve ounces of this dark and rich beers has just 125 calories! Makes us want to do an Irish jig!
2. Harp. With a few more calories than its Black and Tan partner Guinness, one of these come in at 142 calories for 12 ounces.
3. Killian's Irish Red. St. Patrick's Day and Irish reds go hand in hand. This popular beer has 163 calories in a 12-ounce bottle.
4. Murphy's. Another Irish stout, Murphy's has 171 calories but tons of flavor for 12 ounces of St. Paddy sipping!
5. Beamish Irish Cream Stout. Don't let the word "cream" fool you. Twelve ounces of Beamish has just 146 calories, making it slightly heavier than Guinness.
6. Smithwick's Irish Ale. If you aren't a fan of the darker beers, try 12 ounces of this Irish ale that clocks in at a reasonable 150 calories.
7. Irish Car Bomb. OK, so this is more of a shot/beer-cocktail than an actual beer, but 12 ounces of this Guinness-Bailey's-Jameson concoction is by far the most caloric option of all with 237 calories, so bomb in serious moderation.
And, of course, be sure to wear your green and drink responsibly!
Jennipher Walters is the CEO and co-founder of the healthy living websites FitBottomedGirls.com and FitBottomedMamas.com. A certified personal trainer, lifestyle and weight management coach and group exercise instructor, she also holds an MA in health journalism and regularly writes about all things fitness and wellness for various online publications.