The gym can be a great place to try a new class, make some new friends or catch up on a little reality TV while on the elliptical, but the gym can also be a place of awkward situations. From wardrobe malfunctions to running into someone you'd rather not see when you're covered in sweat, read on for the five most common awkward gym situations and how to overcome them!
Tips to Survive the Most Awkward Gym Moments
1. You stumble/trip/fall. Hey, this awkward moment happens to the best of us. Whether it's falling off the treadmill, tripping over a dumbbell or slipping in the locker room, we've all been there. So pick yourself up as gracefully as you can, laugh it off and know that everyone is sympathizing with you!
2. You forget your sports bra. Isn't that the worst? Instead of skipping your workout all together, go ahead and leave your regular bra on, and then do something very low-impact and non-sweat producing like walking on the treadmill or lifting weights. No awkwardness in that!
3. You pass gas during yoga (when it's totally quiet). This one is a common awkward moment in yoga because everyone is so relaxed and you're putting your body in some pretty compromising positions. If it's loud and noticeable, laugh this awkward moment off. If it's quiet, pretend like you didn't notice it. Chances are, others will want to avoid the awkward moment, too.
4. You run into your ex/crush/boss. There's nothing worse than finishing a really hard workout where you're all sweaty and red and running into your ex, your crush or your boss. Talk about awkward. No matter how gross you may feel, know that the other person is probably feeling the exact same way! Instead of focusing on how you look, think about how awesome you are for being at the gym and working out like a rock star!
5. You rip your workout clothes. Whether it's a seam on your shirts or an arm on your shirt, it's not that uncommon to have a slight wardrobe malfunction at the gym. While definitely an awkward moment, try to get to the locker room as soon as you can after it happens, trying to act as confident as you can, covering yourself up unconscionably with a towel. If you don't carry a pair of back-up workout clothes in your gym bag (start doing so!), see if you can borrow something from a friend or grab your jacket. If you have no other clothes to change into, head home and work out there.
Jennipher Walters is the CEO and co-founder of the healthy living websites FitBottomedGirls.com and FitBottomedMamas.com. A certified personal trainer, lifestyle and weight management coach and group exercise instructor, she also holds an MA in health journalism and regularly writes about all things fitness and wellness for various online publications.