If you've been watching the French Open 2011 at all, it's easy to see that tennis is an incredible sport. A mix of mental agility and physical coordination, skill and fitness, it's also a crazy-good workout. While there are a number of female tennis players who inspire us to new levels of fitness on and off the court, here are the top five we admire.
5 Female Tennis Stars We Admire
1. Kim Clijsters. Although she may have just been knocked off in the second round of the French Open, this Belgian player who is ranked No. 2 in the world, balances her career, family and personal life with an ease and down-to-earth nature that we aspire to.
2. Venus Williams. A true female powerhouse who has a forehand you don't want to mess with and a business sense that has allowed her to start her own line of workout apparel and write a book, Williams really is a role model for girls everywhere.
3. Martina Navratilova. Known for her kind yet assertive attitude on and off the court, Martina has shown us that playing and being competitive isn't for just for when you're in your 20s and 30s — it's for your entire life.
4. Steffi Graf. With 22 Grand Slam titles under her belt, we love Graf for her commitment to making the world a better place. She is the founder and chairperson of Children for Tomorrow, a non-profit that supports children who have been traumatized by war and other crises.
5. Anna Kournikova. Kournikova may be best known for her good looks and recently announced gig as a trainer on The Biggest Loser, but we admire this beauty for her passion to helping children. Kournikova has worked with both the Boys & Girls Club of America and the Cartoon Network's Get Animated campaign that encourages kids and their parents to get moving.
Jennipher Walters is the CEO and co-founder of the healthy living websites FitBottomedGirls.com and FitBottomedMamas.com. A certified personal trainer, lifestyle and weight management coach and group exercise instructor, she also holds an MA in health journalism and regularly writes about all things fitness and wellness for various online publications.