Spring Walking Tips from Walk at Home's Leslie Sansone
When it comes to getting active, one the best exercises you can do is walk. Think about it — it's low-impact, there's no learning curve and you don't need any fancy equipment. Not to mention that this time of year is gorgeous for going out and getting your walk on. In fact, high-energy gal and Walk at Home creator Leslie Sansone says that spring is her favorite season to get active because the body craves moving outdoors after a long winter!
We recently caught up with Sansone who shared with us some of her best spring walking workout tips!
Leslie Sansone's Spring Walking Tips
1. Keep your walking shoes with you. What's the No. 1 thing you can do to be ready for a fitness walk? Sansone says to always be prepared. In fact, she recommends hitting up the spring sales and investing in not one, or two but three pairs of walking shoes — a pair to keep in the car, a pair to keep in your desk and a pair to keep at home. "It's worth the investment," she says. "And you will walk more this season just because you have the right shoe ready when you are!" Talk about a reason to shop!
2. Crank up the tunes. One of Sansone's biggest motivators besides the sunshine and spring weather is music. You can listen to approximately three songs in the time it takes you to walk a mile, so she suggests adding at least three new upbeat songs to your iPod or MP3 player. What does Sansone listen to on her walks? Only the most feel-good of tracks, of course!
•"I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas
•"New Attitude" by Patti LaBelle
•"Grenade" by Bruno Mars (Sansone suggests downloading the remix at 128 beats per minute.)
3. Invest in a pedometer. If you want to be sure of the distance you're walking, Sansone suggests clipping on a pedometer. It's a sure-fire motivator to help you take some extra steps or to literally "go the extra mile," she says.
4. Plan your spring walks. Just like you would your healthy eating plan or your trips to the gym, it's important to get organized for success. Every Sunday evening, Sansone sits down to plan her week. " Write down when you will fitness walk for the week. Most likely you will stick to that plan," she says. "No plan? No chance!"
5. Don't let rain stop you. You know what they say about April showers and May flowers. While spring may throw some rainy day wrenches into your best of walking plans, Sansone says not to fret. She's devoted 25-plus years of her life to helping people to not miss a fitness walk by popping in one of her many DVD Walks! "The real benefit of our walks show up fast when you combine walking outdoors a few times per week, and then 'walking my way' a couple times per week!" she says.
So what are you waiting for? Spring to it and get out there and walk!
Jennipher Walters is the CEO and co-founder of the healthy living websites FitBottomedGirls.com and FitBottomedMamas.com. A certified personal trainer, lifestyle and weight management coach and group exercise instructor, she also holds an MA in health journalism and regularly writes about all things fitness and wellness for various online publications.