No doubt, it’s the year of the side braid! Diane Kruger
is just one of dozens of celebs who have sported the look. And it’s easier to do than you think!
How to get the look:
1. Start out by sectioning the hair; use a clip to secure the crown of your hair, leaving the front and back length out only. (For those of you who don’t know what the crown is, place your hand directly on the top of your head, you are now touching your crown).
2. Spray the hair with a workable hairspray and quickly curl all the hair, wrapping each section away from your face. The bigger the section the looser the curl will be. The smaller the section will give you tighter curl.
3. After you have curled your first perimeter section, split your crown section into two and curl the back section, leaving the other section secure and out of the way with a clip. Spray a light amount of working spray and continue to curl the hair. Each section should be in the iron for about 10 seconds. After you’ve curled the back section, curl your last section using the same method. Make sure you use a small amount of working spray; if you use too much, the hair will become sticky.
4. Now that you have curled the entire head, grab a rat-tail comb and tease just the crown of your head area. Spray a small amount of shine spray on your fingers and begin to brush through your curls. Make sure you start at the ends and work your way up.
5. This is where it gets tricky; it is time for the braid. When choosing a side, do what feels most comfortable or have the braid on the side where your part would have the most hair. Brush your hairline in the direction your braid will be placed with your fingers.
6. Start with three sections and begin to braid your hair until you reach the ends. Secure your braid with an elastic. If some of the hair has come out of the braid or if it looks a bit messy, that’s okay—this look is supposed to look carefree. As a final detail, take a very small piece of hair and wrap it around the elastic for a more polished look.
Instructions by: Anthony Pazos, Celebrity Hairstylist for Ashley Greene and Leighton Meester and star of WE TV’s L.A. Hair