Fake a sun-baked glow with products and tips that practically guarantee a smooth, streak-free complexion
This summer, put your best face forward.
1. Prep your skin by exfoliating to get rid of dead cells, then moisturize to hydrate so the self-tanner goes on smoothly and evenly.
Try: Ahava Time To Hydrate Active Moisture Gel Cream ($42; ahavaus.com); The Body Shop Aloe Gentle Exfoliator ($16; bodyshop.com)
2. Use products specifically designed for your face (or at the very least, for the body and face). These formulas tend to be gentle on skin and won’t clog pores.
Try: St. Tropez Gradual Tan Plus Anti-Aging Multi Action Face ($35; sephora.com)
3. Protect your hairline by applying Vaseline where your hair meets your scalp, as well as your eyebrows, to prevent tanner from seeping and streaking.
Try: Vaseline Petroleum Jelly ($2; drugstore.com)
4. Be careful around creases like near the edges of your nose and right above your lips. If you apply too much, the lotion can settle into these areas.
Try: Tarte Brazilliance self tanning face towelettes ($21; sephora.com)
5. Don't neglect your neck if you want an even-looking tan. Use a foam pad pad to apply the lotion, and sit up straight while it absorbs so the formula doesn't settle unevenly into the neck lines.
Try: Beautyblender Pro Sponge ($20; beautyblender.com)
6. Patience is a virtue when it comes to self-tanning. Wait for the lotion to be fully absorbed, then brush talc-free baby powder over your face to help it set.
Try: Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Dusting Powder ($8; target.com)
More from PureWow:
How to Get Radiant Summer Skin
5 Problem Solving Sunscreens
How to Get Your Feet Sandal-Ready For Summer
28 Hairstyling Tricks Every Woman Should Know
5 Ideas To Refresh Your Beauty Routine