Secrets from Hollywood’s Iconic Beauties
Steal the timeless elements of 7 signature looks from the most gorgeous women
No matter what year it may be, the classic, chic looks of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, and other simply stunning women will never go out of style. They were blessed with amazing genes for sure—and the aplomb to stand out from the crowd. “These women knew how to play up their best features and had the confidence to emphasize what made them unique,” says celebrity hairstylist and makeup artist Peter Lamas, who’s worked with several icons. “Far from the cookie-cutter definition of beauty today, the women of the Golden Age of Hollywood were sophisticated and dared to show off what made them different.”
Highlight your assets and achieve the timeless, enviable looks these ladies are known for—and turn heads wherever you go—with Lamas’ easy step-by-steps.
Even though she’s as famous for her curled coif as she is for her music, Diana Ross’ hair wasn’t always as big as her voice. “When I met Diana, her hair was naturally very fine,” Lamas says. “She wanted to have big, bold curls to match her daring personality, but at that time there wasn’t a product available that could set her hairstyle without weighing it down.” Lamas played scientist and discovered that rice protein naturally plumped up the hair shaft, leading to his Chinese Herbs Revitalizing Styling Cream. Use it or another cream and the advice below to create big, head-turning curls.
1. Smooth a hydrating styling cream that helps add body throughout damp locks, then dry hair as you normally would.
2. Working in equal-sized sections, use a 1-inch curling iron to create curls (naturally curly-haired girls can skip this step).
3. Mist your curls with hairspray and gently scrunch, taking care not to break up the curls.
4. Tease your roots with a fine-toothed comb for added body and lightly spray with more hairspray.
5. Gently comb hair into place and set the look with one last sparing spritz of hairspray.