If you called in sick the day after the Super Bowl, you're not alone. Like, really not alone.
The Monday after the Super Bowl is said to be the "Biggest Sick Day in America," according to a 2008 survey by The Workforce Institute at Kronos. An estimated 1.5 million other Americans are doing the same thing as you: laying on the couch, nursing their hangovers, and trying to rouse themselves out of the inevitable food coma that comes with eating your weight in wing dip, pizza, and guac.
It's not that surprising, when you consider that 70 percent of the country tuned into the game, according to Nielsen, and consumed 1.33 billion chicken wings (according to the National Chicken Council), 12.5 million pizzas (as reported by Forbes), and 325 million gallons of beer (according to Time). (You won't believe these other shocking Super Bowl eating stats.) Throw in the fact that Super Bowl LI was the first time the Big Game has ever gone into overtime, and you have a recipe for a great game—and a miserable Monday.
So, yeah, the state of American health after the Super Bowl is roughhhhh. (Here's exactly what your body is going through during a hangover and what that junk food did to your stomach.) The good news? There are ways to combat your post-feast fog and maybe even make it into the office by lunchtime—or at least hit the gym in the afternoon.
- Drink a crap-ton of water. (We know, you probably already know this one, but water really works wonders.)
- Whip up a meal with magical hangover-curing properties (read: one that settles your stomach and nourishes your body) or embark on a special 24-hour hangover cleanse.
- Grab one of these hangover-curing ice creams for an afternoon snack.
- Still hurting? Try popping an OTC headache medication with caffeine, a fish oil pill, or prickly pear supplement.
- Take this dietitian's advice on which hangover cures really work and which will make it even worse.
- Once you're stable enough to move off the couch, try this yoga for hangovers or this post-binge detox workout.
- And maybe next time, sip on this hangover-proof vitamin vodka instead of your usual 12-pack.