This is exciting (and delicious) news: Hummus is growing in popularity in the U.S. While we've long been fans of this low-fat, high-protein Middle Eastern snack, it's only recently begun to conquer the rest of the country.
According to a Yahoo! article , more and more farmers in the heart of tobacco country are considering opening up their fields to chickpea crops in a move that reflects a growing demand for hummus. In fact, Sabra Dipping Co., one of the largest manufacturers of the creamy spread, is looking to cultivate a commercial crop in Virginia in an effort to reduce its dependence on chickpeas from the northwest region (in the event that there's ever a chickpea shortage, which we agree would be a horrible thing).
In the mood for some good-for-you hummus? Check out our favorite recipes below.
1. Walnut butter hummus . This zesty recipe from the editors at PopSugar Fitness includes chickpeas, orange juice, and walnut butter for a flavor that's too intriguing not to try.
2. White bean basil hummus . This lighter take on the traditional classic from our friends at Greatist uses white beans in place of chickpeas for an antioxidant boost.
3. Smoky chipotle hummus . This smoky and tangy recipe is perfect to take to any occasion, whether it be a sports event, barbecue, or backyard get-together, and it's made with ingredients you most likely already have on hand.
4. Red pepper hummus . Spice things up with this recipe—it uses red peppers, olives, and cayenne pepper sauce to provide a healthy snack with a kick!
5. Classic hummus . We call things classic for a reason! You can never go wrong with this traditional recipe that uses tahini, chickpeas, cumin, and a little bit of lemon for a satisfying, versatile snack. Use it in sandwiches, desserts, pasta dishes, or even cocktails !