Eggplant Caprese with Tomato and Basil
This restaurant quality dish is low in calories, high in nutrients.
- 1 Eggplant caprese with tomato and basil
- 2 ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 8 thin slices unsalted fresh mozzarella (about 4 ounces total)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Slice the eggplant and tomatoes crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Place 8 eggplant slices in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Set the tomatoes aside.
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Brush the mixture over the eggplant and tomato slices, then set the remainder aside.
- Bake the eggplant slices for about 10 minutes. Turn them over, brush with more of the olive-oil mixture, then bake for another 10 minutes; set aside. Place the tomatoes on the same baking sheet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they're soft.
- Place a slice of cooked eggplant on a work surface. Top with a tomato slice, a basil leaf, a slice of mozzarella, a tomato slice, another slice of cheese, then a basil leaf. Finish the stack with a slice of eggplant. Repeat to make three more stacks.
- When ready to serve return the stacks to the oven for about 5 minutes to reheat and melt the cheese. Top each with a drizzle of the remaining olive-oil mixture and a fresh basil leaf.
Per serving: 192 kcal cal., 13 g fat (5 g sat. fat), 476 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 8 g pro., 167 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet