Baked Chicken Fingers
Baked Chicken Fingers
For the chicken fingers:
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 cup corn flakes or toasted rice cereal, crushed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 - 2 teaspoons chicken breast tenders or boneless breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 pounds ripe mangoes, peeled and diced into -inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (2 to 3 limes, squeezed)
To make the chicken fingers:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside. Mix bread crumbs, cereal, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and curry (if using) in a large mixing bowl or casserole dish. Drizzle oil evenly over the breading, then mix in.
- Arrange three shallow containers, one with the flour, one with the beaten eggs, and one with the bread crumb mixture. Individually dip chicken tenders into flour, then eggs (letting excess run off), then breading mixture. Arrange breaded chicken pieces on the cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until crisp and brown all over. Serve with mango ketchup (recipe below).
To make the mango ketchup:
- Heat oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add onion and cook, stirring, about 7 minutes, or until translucent but not browning. Add mango, orange juice, and nectar or honey to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes more, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and lime juice, adding more to taste, if desired. Serve alongside chicken fingers warm or at room temperature.
- Nutritional information is based on using 2 pounds chicken breast, and includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.
Per serving: 528 kcal cal., 15 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 60 g carb., 4 g fiber, 33 g sugar, 40 g pro., 83 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet