Apple-Cinnamon Compote with Toasted Oats
Choose the best buy of the day for your fruit compote, be it peaches, nectarines, or apples.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 8 wedges each
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spread oats on a baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes, until golden, shaking the pan halfway through cooking to promote even toasting; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine water, sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Set pan over medium heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wire whisk. Add apple slices and raisins, cover and simmer 5 minutes, until apples are tender.
- Spoon compote into four individual bowls; top with toasted oats.
Per serving: 258 kcal cal., 1 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 9 mg sodium, 6 g fiber, 45 g sugar, 3 g pro., 44 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet