Barley Hazelnut Salad
- 2 cups dry pearl barley (see tip)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted hazelnuts, sliced in half
- 8 lettuce leaves (Romaine or Bibb)
- Lemon slices for garnish (optional)
- Rinse barley under cold water and drain. Bring 4 cups water to a rolling boil in a saucepan and add barley. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer until barley is tender but still chewy, about 30 minutes. Run the grain under running water again and let it drain.
- Combine oil, lemon juice, shallot, and salt in a small bowl to make vinaigrette.
- Toss barley with parsley, hazelnuts, and vinaigrette in a serving bowl; spoon over lettuce leaves. Garnish with additional parsley and lemon slices, if desired.
Make Ahead Tip
- You can make the barley for this recipe up to three days ahead of time; just refrigerate it until you're ready to cook.
Per serving: 496 kcal cal., 15 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 82 g carb., 18 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 13 g pro., 64 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet