Curried Butternut Squash Soup
This butternut squash soup recipe contains just a hint of curry to help you warm up on a cold winter day.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 butternut squash (about 2 pounds each), peeled, seeded and chopped into 2-inch cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery and cook 4 minutes, until soft. Add curry powder and cook 1 minute, until curry is fragrant. Add broth, squash, bay leaves, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer 15 minutes, until squash is fork-tender. Remove bay leaves and, working in batches, puree soup in a blender or food processor. Ladle soup into bowls and top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 teaspoon chives.
Per serving: 264 kcal cal., 3 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 58 g carb., 10 g fiber, 12 g sugar, 9 g pro., 269 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet