Firehouse Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, divided
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Toss in garlic and all but 2 tablespoons of the scallions and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add turkey and continue to cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cook for 1 more minute. Add tomatoes, kidney beans, bell pepper, carrot, brown sugar, and salt to taste. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Divide among 4 bowls and garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons of scallions.
- Nutritional information includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.
Per serving: 253 kcal cal., 10 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 674 mg sodium, 7 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 20 g pro., 128 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet