- 36 store-bought caramels (such as Brach's, which come with sticks)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 popsicle sticks
- 6 medium-sized, crisp Granny Smith apples
- 6 tablespoons shelled pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
- Place caramels and water in top portion of a double boiler. Heat until melted, stirring occasionally (chopsticks do a good job) until caramel is smooth, about 10 minutes.
- While caramels melt, push Popsicle sticks into stem area of the apples. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Place chopped nuts in a bowl. Let caramel cool for 1 minute (so that it thickens and adheres better to the apples). Dip apples, one at a time, in caramel so that it comes about two-thirds of the way up the apple. Twirl apple as you remove it from caramel. Working quickly, press apple in pistachio nuts, using about 1 tablespoon of nuts per apple. Stand apples, stick-side up, on wax paper.
- Place apples in refrigerator for 5 minutes to set caramel. Place a little gold star on the handle end of each Popsicle stick to add a festive touch to this unexpected fun-to-eat treat.
- One serving equals 1 apple, 6 caramels, and 1 tablespoon nuts.
Per serving: 369 kcal cal., 9 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 74 g carb., 5 g fiber, 59 g sugar, 5 g pro., 103 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet