- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons shelled pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spritz a 9" x 5" loaf pan with vegetable oil spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the molasses, brown sugar, pumpkin (use canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie), egg, yogurt, and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir with a wooden spoon just to combine. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on top.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes before turning bread out of pan onto a rack to cool completely.
Per serving: 291 kcal cal., 9 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 207 mg sodium, 6 g fiber, 22 g sugar, 6 g pro., 121 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet