Cracked-Candy-Cane Frozen Yogurt with Hot Fudge Sauce
Get help reaching your daily calcium quota with this sweet dessert.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 medium candy canes (about 6 inches tall) or 10 hard peppermint rounds
- 1 pint nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, grated
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
- 2 tablespoons evaporated skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Bring water, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to low and gently simmer for 12 minutes. Meanwhile, seal candy canes in a zip-top plastic bag. Use bottom of a small saucepan to smash the candy into tiny pieces. Place frozen yogurt in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add smashed candy canes and pulse to mix. Whisk grated chocolate and cocoa powder into thickened corn-syrup mixture until completely incorporated. Whisk in evaporated skim milk, vanilla, and salt. Serve over peppermint-stick frozen yogurt.
- If you're not serving immediately, transfer frozen yogurt to a lidded plastic container and freeze until ready to serve.
Per serving: 233 kcal cal., 4 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 49 g carb., 1 g fiber, 38 g sugar, 3 g pro., 91 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet