Hot Mexican Volcanoes
Hot Mexican Volcanoes
- 1/4 cup minus 1 tablespoon nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat chocolate chips
- 1 10.1 ounce box reduced-fat devil's food cake mix
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 15 whole macadamia nuts
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons nonfat milk
- In a saucepan, stir together condensed milk and chocolate chips over low heat until chocolate melts. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a 15-cup muffin pan with foil-and-paper liners. In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, coffee, cinnamon, and chili powder. Using an electric mixer on low speed, beat in water and whole egg. Beat 2 minutes more at medium speed.
- To make meringue, clean beaters thoroughly, then beat egg whites until foamy in a nonreactive bowl (not aluminum or plastic). Gradually beat in sugar until stiff and glossy.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap about 1 teaspoon chilled chocolate mixture around each macadamia nut, shaping it into a ball. Set aside. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with cake batter. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoonful meringue on top and smooth out evenly, making sure meringue extends all the way to paper liners and no batter is exposed. Place 1 chocolate ball in exact center of meringue; do not push in. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the side of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack, then carefully loosen meringue with the tip of a sharp knife and remove cupcakes from pan. Place on wire racks set over waxed paper and cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and enough milk to make a glaze of drizzling consistency. Spoon glaze on top of meringue, letting it drip down sides.
Per serving: 210 kcal cal., 5 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 39 g carb., 1 g fiber, 22 g sugar, 3 g pro., 43 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet