- 1 1/4 cups sushi or short-grain rice
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (or mild, white wine vinegar)
- 1 package nori (pressed seaweed sheet, thinly-sliced)
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 tablespoon wasabi paste
- Dash paprika
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Toast rice in a saucepan over medium heat for 8 minutes, stirring constantly so it doesn't change color. Season with pepper. Add water, cover pot, and cook rice for 12-15 minutes without lifting the lid. Turn off the stove and let the rice stand on the burner for 5 minutes, covered. Remove from stove. Let stand, covered, until cool. Season with salt to taste. Stir in rice vinegar.
- Spread out the nori sheets on a large cutting board with a kitchen towel or bamboo mats underneath. Leave a 1-inch border on each end. Arrange rice on top of sheets and pat it smooth. Arrange cucumber, carrots, and green onions in a strip down the center of the rice. Spread with wasabi; sprinkle with paprika and sea salt.
- Using a kitchen towel or bamboo mat, wrap the nori sheet around the filling and press it firmly into a roll. Slice the rolls crosswise with a very sharp knife, dipping the knife in cold water between the cuts.
- Find nori in gourmet supermarkets, shops and Asian groceries
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 275 kcal cal., 1 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 386 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 9 g pro., 47 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet