- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup slender green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup sugar snap or snow peas, ends trimmed
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, diced
- 6 - 8 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti or linguine
- 4 scallions, minced (include white and greens)
- 1/4 cup minced flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup minced basil
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and salt, and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onion begins to soften. Add broccoli and cauliflower. Stir and cook until the vegetables are just barely tender, about 5 minutes. Add the green beans, peas, and bell pepper, and cook for approximately 5 minutes longer, then stir in the garlic. Cook for about 1 minute more and set aside.
- Transfer pasta to a large bowl or serving platter. Add vegetable mixture and toss with tongs, sprinkling in the parsley, basil, and Parmesan as you toss. Grind in some fresh black pepper, and serve right away.
Per serving: 477 kcal cal., 12 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 81 g carb., 11 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 19 g pro., 141 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet