- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat or whole-grain flour
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat panko
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 6 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise to form two thin chicken cutlets (or 8 large pre-cut chicken cutlets)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups high-quality marinara or tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- Preheat oven to broil. Cover a large sheet pan with tinfoil, spray gently with cooking spray, and set aside. Set up 3 shallow dishes or pie plates. In the first dish, whisk together flour, salt, and pepper until well combined. Pour egg whites into the second dish, and give a quick whisk. In the third dish, stir together panko, thyme, and parsley.
- Place chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a mallet until 1/3-inch thick. (If using chicken cutlets that are already a uniform 1/3-inch, skip this step.) Set chicken aside. Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil.
- Meanwhile, place a chicken cutlet in seasoned flour, flip, and shake the pan gently to coat both sides of chicken evenly. Move to egg whites to coat both sides. Lastly place chicken in panko herb mixture. Flip over to evenly coat. Repeat this process with all chicken pieces. Once oil is hot (chicken should sizzle when it hits the pan), carefully place chicken in. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden and crispy. (Keep an eye on the pan to make sure oil is not burning or smoking.)
- While chicken cooks, prepare remaining chicken breasts. Once first batch of chicken is cooked, remove from pan and place gently on prepared sheet pan. Season lightly with kosher salt, if desired. If oil in the pan dries up, spray again with cooking spray and add a little more olive oil if necessary. Cook second batch of chicken and move to prepared pan. Cover each cutlet with 1/4 cup marinara sauce and 3 tablespoons mozzarella.
- Place chicken in oven and broil for about 3 to 4 minutes until cheese is bubbling and lightly golden brown, keeping a close eye on chicken to prevent overcooking. Remove from oven and top with basil.
- Recipe provided by Mark Macdonald, creator of the Venice Nutrition Program and bestselling author of Body Confidence
Per serving: 347 kcal cal., 17 g fat (4.5 g sat. fat), 865 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 30 g pro., 182 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet