- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- Cooking spray
- 1 small Italian eggplant (about 3/4 pound), trimmed, sliced lengthwise into 4 slices
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 sprigs basil, leaves torn
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread tomatoes in an 8-by-8-inch oven-safe dish and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Pull skillet off the heat and coat with cooking spray. Add eggplant and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side until slices start to brown. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more until slices are tender. Remove lid and cool slightly.
- While eggplant cools, place kale, ricotta, egg, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix with a rubber spatula until kale is well incorporated. Place 1/4 cup ricotta mixture in the center of each slice of eggplant, fold over, and place them seam-side-down in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle mozzarella over top and bake 35 to 40 minutes until cheese is melted and brown. Sprinkle with basil leaves and serve immediately.
- Recipe provided by Jennifer Iserloh of The Skinny Chef
Per serving: 235 kcal cal., 13 g fat (7 g sat. fat), 353 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 19 g pro., 430 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet