50 Calorie Cream-Filled Devil's Food Cookies
These cake-like cookies are great dunked into coffee, milk, or tea on your next afternoon snack break. Or, make them into a sandwich with some aerosol whipped cream for an even sweeter creation.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 cup cooked lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 3 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two large cookie sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, puree lentils with egg yolks until smooth; set aside.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or microwave.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. With mixer running on low speed, add melted chocolate; combine thoroughly. Add pureed lentils; mix well.
- Alternating in batches, add flour mixture and buttermilk to batter, mixing after each addition (dough will be sticky).
- Whip egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into the batter.
- Drop heaping teaspoons of batter onto prepared cookie sheets, leaving about 1-inch between cookies; bake until puffed and set, about 8 to 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheets for about 2 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers
Per serving: 50 kcal cal., 2 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 8 g carb., 0.6 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 1 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet