Apricot Almond Tart
Coconut palm sugar and agave both sweeten this fabulous vegan dessert. Agave nectar has a dark amber color and is about one and a half times sweeter than sugar, so you can use less of it. Almond in the crust and topping also helps add sweetness without any sugar, and a deliciously crunchy bite.
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup dairy-free margarine
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 10 apricots, pitted, quartered
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix flours, almond meal and coconut palm sugar together.
- Cut in dairy-free margarine until crumbly.
- Mix chia seeds in water a few minutes to make a gel. Stir into pastry.
- Pour pastry dough into a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Pat evenly into pan. Prick with fork. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove tart crust from oven and arrange apricots over tart shell with skins facing down.
- Mix lemon juice honey or agave nectar and vanilla in a small dish. Drizzle over the apricots and return to oven. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Remove tart from oven and sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 375 degrees F for an additional 20 minutes until golden and tender.
- Remove, cool slightly, and serve on a platter.
- Recipe by Sharon Palmer, R.D., author of Plant-Powered for Life.
Per serving: 155 kcal cal., 7.5 g fat (1.5 g sat. fat), 47 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 3 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet