Asian Beef Kebabs
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound sirloin steak or beef round (1-inch thick), trimmed of fat and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 8 scallions, ends trimmed
- Wooden picks
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Black pepper
- Coat an outdoor grill or stove-top grill pan with cooking spray and preheat to medium-high.
- Wrap steak strips tightly around scallions (about 3 slices per scallion), place on a skewer and secure each piece with a wooden pick. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, garlic powder and ginger. Remove 3 tablespoons of soy mixture and brush beef and scallions (reserve remaining sauce to use as a dip after cooking).
- Grill skewers for 5 minutes. Sprinkle on sesame seeds and grill 2 more minutes, turning every 10 seconds, until steak is cooked through and seeds are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions, adding bell pepper at the start of cooking time. Season rice with salt and black pepper.
- Add cilantro to reserved soy mixture. Serve skewers with reserved soy mixture, and rice on the side.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 465 kcal cal., 18 g fat (6 g sat. fat), 894 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 29 g pro., 87 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet