Baked Eggs Italian-Style
Somewhere between a baked frittata and pastaless lasagna, this casserole is delicious with arugula salad or mixed greens.
- 4 cups store bought marinara sauce
- 1/2 fresh chopped basil
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, such as Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Pour marinara sauce into a 9- X 13-inch baking pan. Sprinkle chopped basil over sauce.
- Use bottom of a small custard cup or a similarly sized glass to make 8 rounded indentations in marinara sauce. Crack an egg into each of these indentations.
- Sprinkle Parmigiano-Reggiano and red pepper flakes over tops of eggs. Bake until egg whites are set, yolks are a bit runny and cheese has melted, about 18 minutes. Serve by scooping eggs and sauce into individual bowls, using a large spoon.
- Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers
Per serving: 198 kcal cal., 11 g fat (4 g sat. fat), 12 g carb., 3 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 13 g pro., 4 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet