Baked Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne pasta
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast
- 1 large jar tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot with about 32 cups of water to a boil; season with salt. When boiling, add pasta. Cook according to directions on package (about 7 to 8 minutes), or until al dente. When cooked, drain and rinse with cold water.
- While pasta cooks, spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and arrange chicken breast on tray. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and cool. When cool, dice into 1/2-inch pieces. Spray a 13-by-9-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, toss pasta, chicken, and sauce (add a bit more sauce if desired). Place mixture in a casserole dish and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted and casserole is hot all the way through.
- Nutritional information is based on using a 24-ounce jar of Marinara sauce.
Per serving: 489 kcal cal., 9 g fat (4 g sat. fat), 63 g carb., 8 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 43 g pro., 243 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet