Baked Ziti with Turkey Sausage
Here's a comfort-food classic, a dish that's sure to get everyone to the table the minute it comes out of the oven.
- 3/4 pound uncooked turkey sausage, spicy-variety, castings removed
- 1 medium uncooked onions, chopped
- 1 medium green peppers chopped
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons canned tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 0.2 teaspoon table salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces uncooked whole wheat pasta, ziti, cooked according to package directions
- 6 ounces shredded part-skim-mozzarella cheese
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Crumble the sausage meat into a large saucepan and brown over medium heat, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Drain off any fat, then add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, peas, tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, fennel seeds, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and cook uncovered 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and half the cheese. Spread evenly into a 9- X 13-inch baking pan. Top evenly with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and the casserole is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before slicing into 8 pieces.
- Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers
Per serving: 323 kcal cal., 7.5 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 44 g carb., 8 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 23 g pro., 11 mg calcium, 0 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet