Barbecue Style Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Pineapple, and Tempeh Bacon
Sweet yet savory, this pie doesn't even need cheese to satisfy. Enjoy it for dinner or serve it as an appetizer at parties.
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated buttery spread
- 2 onions, cut into thin slices
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons organic evaporated cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 pound homemade or premade pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon oil, for brushing crust
- 3/4 cup vegan barbecue sauce
- 1 6 ounce package tempeh bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup roughly chopped pineapple
- 8 - 10 basil leaves, finely chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. If using a pizza stone, preheat stone in oven.
- To make onions, heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add buttery spread and onions, and saute until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add salt, pepper, sugar, and lemon juice, and stir to incorporate. Add thyme and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- To assemble pizza, sprinkle a cutting board or flat baking sheet with cornmeal and shape dough into a 13-inch round on top, making sure there are no spots where dough sticks. Brush rim of dough with oil and spread barbeque sauce over pizza evenly. Top with caramelized onions, tempeh bacon, and pineapple. Bake for about 18 minutes until crust looks golden. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Serve topped with basil.
- Recipe provided by Spork Foods
Per serving: 305 kcal cal., 7 g fat (0.5 g sat. fat), 52 g carb., 4 g fiber, 8 g pro., 37 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet