Beef Burger with Strawberry Compote and Caramelized Onions
Nothing tastes like summer quite like strawberries, so we added them to this savory beef burger recipe for a mega-boost of sweet and sensational flavor. Top it off with caramelized onions for a killer combination that will have everyone crediting you as the most creative chef of the season!
For strawberry compote:
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons julienned onions
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup strawberries, quartered
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For carmelized onions:
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 large onion, julienned
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 16 ounces organic 90% lean beef, divided into four patties
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 green leaf lettuce leaves
- 4 Hawaiian rolls (or brioche buns), toasted
- To make strawberry compote, heat balsamic vinegar in a small pan over medium-high. Cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes; set aside. In a medium pot, saute onions in olive oil until brown. Mix in reduced balsamic vinegar and sugar, stirring frequently until the granules are completely dissolved, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add strawberries and thyme sprig and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until mixture thickens. Remove thyme, add salt, and set aside.
- To make caramelized onions, saute onion in olive oil in a medium pan over high heat. Add salt, balsamic vinegar, thyme, and sugar. Continue to saute until onions are brown, about 7 to 8 minutes; set aside.
- Season burgers with a pinch each salt and pepper. Brush a grill grate with olive oil and heat it to medium or medium-high. Place burgers on the grill, cover, and cook for 4 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 4 minutes. For well-done burgers, cook for a few minutes longer on each side.
- To build burgers, place a lettuce leaf and a patty on each roll bottom. Add a layer of caramelized onions, a spoonful of strawberry compote, and a roll top.
- Recipe courtesy of Makani Gerardi.
Per serving: 452 kcal cal., 18 g fat (5 g sat. fat), 45 g carb., 2.5 g fiber, 28 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet