Black-Bean and Zucchini Pancakes
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic, chopped (jarred)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 zucchini, shredded (1 1/3 cups)
- 1/3 cup plain, dried whole-grain bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chipotle (or your favorite salsa)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a medium bowl, mash beans, egg whites, garlic, and cumin to a coarse texture (it should be a mixture of mashed and nearly whole beans). Stir in the zucchini and bread crumbs.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of oil. Using 1/2 of the bean mixture, drop 4 mounds into the pan and flatten them to about 3 1/2-inch rounds. Cook for 4 minutes, turning halfway during cooking; repeat with remaining mixture. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
Per serving: 201 kcal cal., 5 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 29 g carb., 8 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 12 g pro., 75 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet