Blackened Chicken with Fruit Salsa
This Wellness Kitchen recipe, from the Four Seasons Westlake Village, balances sweet fruit with spicy seasonings.
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Sambal Oelek
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup canned diced pineapple
- 1/4 cup strawberries, diced
- 1 kiwi, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mint, chopped
- 6 4 - 6 ounces boneless, skinless, organic chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons blackening seasoning
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, and Sambal Oelek. Add the raspberries, pineapple, strawberries, kiwi, red onion, cilantro and mint. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Season the chicken breasts with the blackening seasoning.
- In a large heavy skillet, over medium-high heat, add the grapeseed oil and allow the oil to heat. Add the chicken, cover and cook for 4 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium-low, and turn the chicken over. Cook until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 13 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan to a serving platter. Allow it to rest and finish cooking. When the temperature reaches 165 degrees F. serve with the fruit salsa.
- Recipe provided by Paulette Lambert, Director of Nutrition at the Four Seasons Westlake Village.