Brazilian Black Bean Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jalapeno chili, seeded and minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 cups cooked or 2 (15.5-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, Stir in garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer. Stir in sweet potato, bell pepper, tomatoes, chili, and broth. Bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender but still firm, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and salt. Simmer gently, uncovered, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the mango and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in the cilantro and serve hot.
- Recipe and image courtesy of 100 Best Vegan Recipes © 2016 by Robin Robertson. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.