Builder's Breakfast Bowl
Don't let the name box you in - this hearty meal would also make a great, quick dinner.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/2 ounces chorizo, sliced
- 7 ounces cubed pancetta or diced bacon
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, deseeded, and chopped
- 1 heaping cup risotto or other short-grain rice (like Arborio), rinsed and drained
- 2 ounces canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Tomato ketchup and brown sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a shallow, flame-proof pan over medium, heat oil. Fry chorizo until oil turns red and it gives off a smoky aroma. Transfer to a small dish and set aside.
- Add pancetta to the pan and fry until slightly browned. Turn the heat up high and add mushroom slices, then tomatoes and cook on high for 3 to 5 minutes until mushrooms are soft. Reduce heat, add rice, and continue to cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add enough water to cover and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, add beans and reserved chorizo, and cover tightly. Cook over low heat until rice begins to soften, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Crack eggs on top of mixture and then transfer the pan to the oven, uncovered. Cook until eggs are firm and slightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with ketchup and brown sauce, if desired.
- Recipe provided by Nisha Katona, author of Pimp My Rice.