Bulgur-Vegetable Burgers with Tahini Slaw
This meal provides a serving each of whole grains, vegetables, and protein.
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (red, green, or a mix)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup canned white beans, well-drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped roasted cashews
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, cut into thin ribbons
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- Mix cabbage, yogurt, tahini, and cayenne in a small bowl; set aside. Combine bulgur and boiling water in a heatproof bowl. Cover and let soak for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mash white beans into a paste with a wooden spoon. Stir in cashews, carrots, spinach, scallions, salt, pepper, paprika, and egg; add bread crumbs and bulgur and mix well. Form into 4-inch patties. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the patties for 4 minutes, then flip and cook for 3 minutes more or until heated through and golden brown. Place each one on a bun and serve with slaw.
- Nutritional information does not include whole-wheat hamburger buns.
Per serving: 265 kcal cal., 9 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 444 mg sodium, 8 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 11 g pro., 128 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet