Caesar Salad with Maple-Wheat Croutons
- 3 slices whole-wheat bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup soft tofu
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut or torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees . In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with 2 tablespoons olive oil, maple syrup, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper. Spread cubes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, 25 to 35 minutes, turning with a spatula every 10 minutes.
- In a blender, place tofu, remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, miso, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Process until very smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce and capers and toss with as much dressing as desired. Top salad with croutons.
- This Caesar dressing can be made two to three days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. The croutons will last in a ziplock bag in the freezer for up to one month.
- Courtesy of Chef Chloe Coscarelli, of By Chloe in New York City
Per serving: 185 kcal cal., 15 g fat (2.1 g sat. fat), 11 g carb., 3 g fiber, 4 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet