Canadian Tourtiere Maple Cheddar Stuffed Peameal Bacon Burger
These "holy cow" (pun intended!) burgers use cremini mushrooms blended with beef and pork. Blending the mushrooms helps increase the size of your patties without adding many calories and fat. Cremini mushrooms, also known as baby bellas or browns, have a similar appearance to white mushrooms but have a light tan to dark brown cap and a firmer texture. Their hearty, full-bodied flavor makes them a fabulous addition to beef and vegetable dishes.
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces extra lean ground Canadian beef
- 6 ounces extra lean ground pork
- 1 small egg white
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon grainy maple mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon savory
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons aged maple cheddar, grated
- 4 slices of lean Peameal bacon
- 4 whole grain buns, hollowed out on both sides
- 4 tablespoons whole grain maple grainy mustard
- 1 Granny Smith apple, sliced
- Pulse the mushrooms in the food processor until they are very finely minced. Remove from the food processor and squeeze out any residual liquid. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add in the ground beef, pork, egg white, bread crumbs, mustard, cinnamon, savory, thyme, allspice, salt and pepper. Combine together until just mixed through.
- Portion into 8 skinny patties. Lay one patty down, sprinkle with about a tablespoon of shredded cheese and top with another skinny patty. Gently seal the edges and set aside until you've continued with the remaining patties.
- Grill over medium high heat on a preheated lightly greased grill for about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, grill the peameal bacon for about 2 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Hollow out the bun insides on both sides. Line the bun bottom with the sliced apple, and a slice of peameal bacon. Smear the top side with the mustard. Top with the cooked burger and enjoy!
- Recipe provided by Abbey Sharp, R.D., of Abbey's Kitchen.
Per serving: 396 kcal cal., 8.8 g fat (3.1 g sat. fat), 1225 mg sodium, 3.2 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 39.5 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet