- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons miso
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin (a Japanese cooking wine)
- In a medium pot over medium, heat 1/4 cup canola oil add garlic and 2 teaspoons grated ginger until pieces begin to turn translucent. Add miso and stir with a wooden spoon until it becomes dark brown. Add soy sauce and mirin and bring to a boil, using the spoon to scrape up any miso stuck to the bottom of the pot. Transfer to a blender or food processor and slowly stream in 1/2 cup more of canola oil while blending. Stir in 2 more teaspoons grated ginger. Try it on steamed vegetables.
- Courtesy of Chef Andrew Swallow, of Mixt Greens in California