Carrot and Beef Meatballs with Marinara
Every now and then, a total comfort food meal is in order. When that time comes, turn to these carrot and beef meatballs with marinara. The lean ground beef is chock-full of heart-healthy protein and the flax seeds provide a hefty serving of omega-3s and fiber. Lighten it up by serving these meatballs naked (AKA without the pasta) and perhaps nixing the marinara in favor of a spoonful of pesto.
- 1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely ground flax seeds
- 3 ounces Parmesan, grated, plus more for serving
- 1 large egg
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3/4 pound spaghetti
- Gently combine beef, carrots, parsley, flax seeds, Parmesan, egg, and 2 cloves of the garlic in a bowl and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Shape the mixture into 12 meatballs (2 tablespoons each).
- Heat a large straight-sided saute pain over medium high heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the oil and heat for 10 seconds.
- Transfer to a plate to hold.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the remaining oil in the pan.
- Add onion and remaining 2 garlic cloves to the pain and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring until the onion is tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon, until the sauce is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Return the browned meatballs to the pan.
- Gently simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce is thickened, 18 to 20 minutes.
- While the meatballs cook, boil the pasta until al dente.
- Serve the pasta topped with sauce, meatballs, and grated Parmesan.
- Recipe provided by Charlyne Mattox, author of Cooking with Seeds.
Per serving: 820 kcal cal., 35 g fat (11 g sat. fat), 690 mg sodium, 9 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 45 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet