Carrot and Jicama Slaw
This gorgeous salad combines the sweetness of carrots with the slight bite of jicama. It only uses 1 tablespoon of oil, bringing the calories to just 50 calories per half-cup serving.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups grated carrots (3-4 large)
- 1 cup grated jicama
- 2 - 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped/torn cilantro leaves
- Salt (optional)
- Pepper (optional)
- In a small non-stick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallot and cook until softened. Add fennel seed and cumin to the skillet and cook until fragrant, about one minute.
- In a medium bowl, add shredded carrots, jicama, lime juice and shallot mixture and toss until all colors and flavors meld together. Add salt and pepper, if desired (I didn't add any and it tasted fantastic!).
- Garnish with cilantro (or mint leaves) for added color and flavor.
- Recipe provided by Christy Wilson, R.D.
Per serving: 50 kcal cal., 2.5 g fat) (30 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 1 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet