Cauliflower-Red Pepper Frittata Muffins
Perfect for brunch or a light supper, these savory treats can be served warm or at room temperature.
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups minced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 cups small (1/2 inch) cauliflower
- 1 cup minced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fine, fresh bread crumbs
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 1/3 pound)
- 10 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the bottoms and sides of six 4-inch muffin cups (preferably nonstick) or 12 2-inch muffin cups with cooking spray. Preheat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add olive oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Add onions, saute until translucent then sprinkle with salt. Saute for 8-10 minutes or until the onion is very soft. Add the garlic and cauliflower; stir and cover. Cook over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. Remove from heat.
- Add the red pepper, mint and bread crumbs to the cauliflower mixture and combine. Divide mixture evenly among the muffin cups, sprinkle with black pepper and feta cheese and set aside. Beat the eggs with a whisk until smooth and frothy. Stir in the parsley.
- Ladle the egg mixture into the cups. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until just set in the center. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes (they will continue to firm up) before removing and serving.
Per serving: 298 kcal cal., 19 g fat (7 g sat. fat), 17 g carb., 4 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 17 g pro., 220 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet