At Ellary's Greens in New York City, they use the naturally occurring nitrates in celery to cure the bacon! Here's how to do it yourself.
- 2 tablespoons peeled garlic
- 1/4 bunch fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 6 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons juniper berries
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/3 cup fresh celery juice (run organic celery stalks and leaves through a juicer)
- 5 pounds pork belly
- In a blender, food processor, or Vitamix, combine garlic, thyme leaves, salt, sugar, juniper berries, peppercorns, and celery juice and blend.
- Rub paste onto pork belly, wrap it up in saran wrap, and store in refrigerator for a week. Rinse off cure, you now have bacon that can be used in many ways.
- Recipe provided by Ellary's Greens