Charred Asparagus with Shaved Parmesan
A simple, yet delicate side dish that looks almost too pretty to eat. The light parmesan gives the asparagus a sweeter taste, while the lemon adds an unexpected tang. Add it to your holiday dinner menu or pair it with any basic chicken dish.
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, tough ends snapped off
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse smoked salt (available in specialty food stores)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 ounce Parmesan, shaved into thin strips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Put a baking sheet on the middle rack and heat for 5 minutes.
- If your asparagus spears are especially thin, slice lengthwise into two equal pieces. If they're larger (about 1/2 inch thick), quarter into four long segments. Place in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and toss to coat.
- Pour asparagus onto hot baking sheet in a single layer. Return to oven and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, tossing with a spatula halfway through, until tender and tips have started to blacken. Transfer to a serving platter, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with lemon juice. Sprinkle Parmesan over top and serve immediately.
Per serving: 83 kcal cal., 6 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 5 g carb., 2 g fiber, 4 g pro., 87 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet